This time of year we find ourselves thinking of vacations and planning away but are you planning for your home as well? You should be! Protecting your home while your away on vacation or any extended period of time is easy and takes very little time with proper planning. Here is a small checklist to help make this easier for you!
1. Contact neighbors to pickup mail or papers for you while you are gone.
2. Close all blinds and draperies to deter would be thieves
3. Install some timers on your lamps and set them to come on at different times during the day to give the appearance that someone is home.
4. If you have a main water shutoff into the home use it! Cutting off the water supply to the home will ensure no busted pipes and floods while you are gone. Be sure to cut off your water heater in this process
5. Inspect that all windows are closed and locked!
6. Notify trusted neighbors of how long you will be gone and they can help keep an eye on your home as well.
Following these simple guidelines can insure that you have a great vacation with no worries of what you may come home to! For more helpful tips on your home or information on Real Estate be sure to visit our website at www.hokepowell.com